The world is rapidly changing and so is the nature of our work platforms. Most, if not all, companies now use the Internet for certain aspects of their business, especially when it comes to organizing files. Computer files have taken the place of paper documents, and the large cabinets that covered the office are getting converted into more compact electronic storage devices. If you are an online freelancer, it is imperative that you come up with an efficient way to organize your files. If not, projects could be confused, deadlines can be missed, files can be lost, and your growing business can suffer as a result.
So, how can you organize online files effectively? The solution lies in adopting simple practices, applying a little self-discipline and learning how to utilize tools and applications that will help you organize your files more effectively. In fact, becoming organized online is quite easy, with a little research, the right software, and storing techniques:
· One of the most important steps you should do is to use a proper naming convention that will help you pinpoint the exact location and purpose of each file to prevent confusion and clutter. You should be able to tell what project the files are for by simply looking at the filename. For example, if you're writing papers for a microbiologist, adding a descriptive prefix, like microbiology_introtomicro.doc, will help you identify files under the project.
· Not only should each file be named correctly, but the folders where the files are kept should also follow a consistent system. Naming files as per data, alphabetic order and date are an ideal way to organize. Folders must be assigned for a particular group of files likes Taxes, Invoice, Payment records and so on.
· Another method to simplify file organization is to create a proper hierarchy by using nested folders. It greatly reduces the time to search for a particular file among files located in a similar category.
· The cloud is a revolutionary online platform for saving and accessing files on any of your electronic devices. Here's an informative video about cloud computing and how it can be used: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYGQcmZUTaw
· Maintenance is a very important—and often overlooked—step for organizing your digital spaces. Regularly cleaning up obsolete files and unused junk files will free up drive space and prevent digital clutter. Just like cleaning your home, it's important when running an online business to go through and digitally throw away files/folders that are old or no longer in use. Just make sure to keep finished files that you may need in the future for jobs that require samples or a portfolio.
Organizing online files can be a tricky operation, especially if you are handling a lot of files across a complex hierarchy of folders. A large number of commercial file organizing software and apps are available online that can help with this. Apps such as FileThis, Zoho Docs, TagSpaces, PaperTIGER and dropmark can be installed on your PC, Tablet or Mobile devices – some of which are designed to organize your files and fetch them from different online platforms when you need them.