House renovation concept design
- Status: Closed
- Prize: $150
- Entries Received: 26
- Winner: shababhossain
We have a lovely little one bedroom house in Tasmania, Australia. It suits us really well because it's a good size, with a small garden, whilst being in a beautiful location with fantastic views. It's a house with historical character, which we want to retain, but we would like to renovate mainly to change the following issues:
- The bathroom currently comes directly off the bedroom (awkward when we have visitors)
- There's no guest bedroom or office/study space
- The kitchen is large but impractical and outdated
- The entry to the house is directly into the lounge and we would prefer an entry vestibule/mudroom
- There is no outside eating/courtyard area
- The house is hard to keep warm in winter as it is poorly insulated. It currently has little or no "green" credentials (no double glazing, no PV panels, no solar hot water, etc) and we would like to include some or all of these things
In addition to the above, we have a few "extras" we would like to achieve if possible:
- An externally accessible "studio" that could be used by guests or for short-term rental
- A 2 person sauna
- A garage with space for a car, kayak (hanging from the roof), small "workshop" space, etc
The external walls to the west and south of the building (the sides with the existing bedroom and laundry) can be extended or modified. The façades on the north and east sides should be mostly retained for heritage/planning reasons. Probably some small changes would be accepted on those façades.
The inside layout of the house can be changed. The small laundry addition at the rear can be fully demolished/modified, along with the existing garage.
Otherwise, please show us what you think we could do!
We're open to all good ideas that we can then take further (single or double storey, separate studio or combined with the house) but at this stage we would like only concept sketches (plan and elevations in PDF format).
I've attached a SketchUp file of the existing house for you to use as your base.
“Nayer's work was very professional and he clearly had an interest in our project.”