Deputy Executive Editor
Position Type: Part-Time
Location: Your own vicinity.
What the Deputy Executive Editor does
our magazine is recognized as an innovator among such publications. We strive to lead - pioneering new ways to grow the knowledge of Egyptian history and culture, encouraging the emergence of new and transdisciplinary technologies in the field of study and preserve Egyptian heritage.
Evolving our plans and operations as we anticipate the changing needs and expectations of our global community of readers.
In 2019, the magazine was relaunched as a digital magazine and the first rich media magazine in this field.
Now, we want to ensure that the magazine keeps moving forward, including the appointment of an Deputy Executive Editor.
Editor is responsible for plotting and executing the editorial agenda, editing feature articles and other articles as assigned; originating, editing and/or writing long-lead articles; overseeing written content, and building our magazine capacity to acquire, create, and curate Egyptian history and culture content while maintaining our high journalistic standards.
* Oversees the content schedule and works with team to ensure that major events and issues are considered for coverage in a timely manner.
* Reviewing and vetting scholar submissions.
* Leads newsgathering and news editorial processes:
* Proposes and generates story ideas and works with administrative manager to prioritize coverage through the team members.
* Manages freelance journalists and writers. Identifies, recruits/cultivates, and qualifies prospective freelancers to ensure a strong, diverse, and international pool of resources. Reviews pitches and approves story ideas. Provides coaching and guidance.
* Serves as editor for most articles; assigns others for review by deputy editor.
* Vets selection of images for articles and, as needed, identifies suitable images, working with writers and production team to ensure proper credit and rights clearance.
* Contributes to strategies around social media of Luxor Times content (news and other content) and directs social media in partnership with other members of the team.
* Assists with oversight of the freelance news budget.
* Other duties as assigned.
What the Deputy Executive Editor brings to the team
* Bachelor’s Degree. Advanced degree is a plus.
Journalism experience in a media, publishing or a scientific organization or equivalent combination of education and experience.
* High level of familiarity with science and history articles; specific and expert knowledge of Egyptology and Egyptian culture is highly desirable.
* Seasoned editor with advanced ability to thoughtfully redirect and rewrite lengthy articles.
* Demonstrated ability to convey complex ideas and high-level science through effective, creative, and lively writing, editing, and storytelling.
* Excellent eye for detail and a good nose for news, news strategy, and approaches.
* Excellent ability to make scientific content relatable and compelling to public audiences.
* Excellent ability to juggle multiple priorities and be highly flexible and nimble while meeting tight publication deadlines and requirements.
* Effective and reliable partner and team leader, working collaboratively with diverse people at a variety of levels to elicit top-notch journalism.
* Ability to exercise highest level of discretion on internal and external confidential matters and to maintain high level of confidentiality, included but not limited to strategic planning initiatives, contracts, budgeting, and personnel matters.
* Ability to monitor budget.
* Demonstrated ability to recruit high-quality contributors and to network and collaborate to grow content and its impact.
The successful candidate for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
Administrative and financial terms to be discussed with the shortlisted candidates.
For full description, please contact us